Saturday, May 17, 2008

Chewing Bones - Most Effective Way To Remove Plague And Tartar

Hi,

The most effective method that I have found for my dogs, is to give them a bone to chew.

Do you remember watching the 2 videos that I posted when I started this special blog?

This was recommended to me by my close friend who is also a dog lover and most experienced than I.

Importantly, no fish and chicken bones as ther are long and a bit sharp and will hurt them when swallowed.

Knuckle bones as shown here ......


I am referring to fresh or cooked bones and not toy or plastic bones. When the dog bites on the bones and cracked it, I believe the process will scrap the tartar and plague off their teeth, based on my observations.


I buy these fresh knuckle bones from the market and boiled or cooked them as I do not feed my dogs raw bones, like my friend does. I do this once every few months and still give them those plague or tartar control biscuit treats, as ongoing maintenance or to slow down the accummulation of the tartar or palgue on their teeth.

I also strongly urge you to observe or be present when you feed your dog bone. If I see that there is some splinter of bone, I will remove it as it may pierce its tummy. Also, I notice my 2 dogs are extremely posessive when they are chewing on their bones so be careful when you try to snatch their bone splinter as they may snap at you.....ha....ha..... I have to use a stick to help me with it as youcan see that I put Ruby in her crate and I leash Jack when they are chewing on their bones.

Well, try some of these options that I have shared with you and see which work for your dogs.

Good luck and take care....!!!

(If there is a form or template displayed instead, please click on the "X" on the top right hand corner to activate the slideshow.)

No comments: